I am the Mixologist, Goo-Goo Goo-Joob

We had a small party in our room this evening, to watch The Pirates of the Caribbean on the big screen. We had piratical beverages, based largely on rum and blue curaçao. I purchased these items today, which was my first real liquor purchase. They swipe your idea, and the register prints out a little contract for you to sign, complete with full name and home address. I guess this country really wants to prevent underage drinking…

At any rate, the party was fun, albeit much smaller than expected. This means that we now have a decent-sized collection of alcohol and mixers left over, from which American Flags, Blue Hawaiians, and the like can be concocted.

I was the chief dude in charge of mixing drinks, thanks to the handy book my sister gave me. I found it amusing that I (the last person in the room to start drinking, just 5 short months ago) was put in charge of providing fruity tropical drinks for everyone.

Good times. I can’t wait for the sequel :o).

A Day In The Life” from Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band by The Beatles

9 comments on “I am the Mixologist, Goo-Goo Goo-Joob
  1. ccommack says:

They swipe your idea

Freudian slip, or spellchecker?

2. tamias says:

I hate it when liquor stores take my ideas. They never give them back, or acknowledge me in credits!

3. Nicolas Ward says:

I’ve been doing this more and more often (even when not tipsy); I make up non-existent homonyms, which may or may not be words. It only seems to happen when I’m typing, too (e.g., I could have just spelled that “tough”, to rhyme with “through” and “zough”). I think linguistics has rewritten my brain or something.

In this case, “idea” rhymes with “pea”, not “Ikea”.

Stupid brain.

4. wayman says:

Weird: I’ve never had a liquor store even ask to see my ID.

5. flammifera says:

I’ve been carded both times I’ve bought alcohol (once in NJ and once in PA) — I think PA might be extra up-tight about liquor, though, because they do weird things like not sell beer and wine at the same store, and there’s a paucity of places to get alcohol anyway, I think. Stupid state.

Thanks for being the barman last night! :) I want to try an American Flag again — I liked the sweet cherry flavor, but I didn’t get it to layer correctly.

6. ursule says:

PA is on crack about availability of liquor but not actually that great about carding: other states will card everyone in a party, but Pennsylvania only cards the person who’s actually buying the alcohol.

7. flammifera says:

PA is on crack about availability of liquor

Exactly. That’s why I called it a stupid state. Actually, I don’t have a whole lot against PA, but I prefer to be able to buy alchol either *in* the grocery store (the UK), or at the liquor store right next to it (NJ).

8. ursule says:

Lots of states sell alcohol in the grocery store (WA, OH, OR . . .) though there’s often a proof cut-off, so you can buy wine & beer but not vodka.

9. anonymous says: