I’m trying to decide if I want to renew my MacAddict subscription. Normally, I wouldn’t even consider it, but there are five factors that are making me lean in that direction:
- Their production values have really dropped: they now have generic CD slips instead of pretty cardboard ones, they’re printing on cheaper paper, and their content is getting a little repetitive. This is probably all due to Imagine Media getting purchased by Future Network USA.
- When I first subscribed, I was below the level of Mac user they were going for, and now (thanks largely to the SCCS), I have surpassed that. For example, I already knew everything in their last “secrets of the pros” Mac usage article.
- The SCCS has a subscription. Why spend money when we can spend college money? :o)
- I don’t have enough money in my checking account to pay the bill in a timely fashion for this year.
- A number of online communities, like Mac OS X Hints, provide solid interactive contact that is up-to-date on a daily (as opposed to a few months behind) basis.
In fact, now that I’ve weighed all of the options, I don’t think I will renew. The only thing that’s holding me back is my strong desire for consistency; I really, really value constants, and my MacAddict subscription has been that for over 6 years.
::sniff:: Goodbye, MacAddict. You’ve been a loyal friend for a long time, but I think I’ve moved on. Chronos and I don’t need you anymore. I told myself I wouldn’t get emotional about this, but, but… ::waaaaaahaaaahaaaa:: ::snnnnkkh:: ::booohoohoo:: ::sniff::
Okay, I think I’m okay now. It’s going to be okay. We’ll make it through… somehow.
Now back to your regularly scheduled packing…