I’m back in Swarthmore, PA after 4 days in Vienna, Austria. If I’m not too jet-lagged tonight, I will write a number of posts fanboying Vienna. I’m sure that
I have a few Apple Software Updates to install, about 400 e-mails to read, and about 60 LiveJournal entries. It’s amazing how much can happen in such a short time.
Things I will miss now that I’m back in the US of A:
- Amazing public transportation
- Continental breakfasts
- Every item of food that I ate
- Good airline service
- Good international TV news
- Hungarian food, Austrian food, Italian food, German food…
- Beautiful old buildings
- Did I say food already?
It appears that a massive attack of SWILAngst occurred while I was gone. I’m definitely glad I wasn’t here, because now I have the chance to look over the whole incident. A few preliminary comments:
- Stop making backhanded complaints about people in public forums like LJ. It does absolutely good, and in fact can be insulting, degrading, etc. LJ lets you consider your words before you commit them; think about what you’re going to say, and if it’s not constructive, don’t bother saying it. If you absolutely have to say it, have a private conversation with the person in question. Don’t even get me started on friends-locking…
- Procrastination is fine, and people do get stuff done even when they procrastinate.
- There have been a lot of complaints about our (
‘s, ‘s, and my) SWILPresidency. I understand why you are complaining, but I know we had fun, SWIL didn’t collapse in on itself, events happened, and people seemed to be happy. If you’d like to talk about our apparent massive failure as presidents, let me know.
- I’ve already talked about my reduced involvement in SWIL for 2003-2004. I think my reasons have been fairly clear, but if you want to hear them again, feel free to ask.
as a group does have some things in common, but we all have very different views of the world. Remember that when you start talking about as a cohesive unit of like-thinking people.
- Be nice. Honestly. Is it that hard?
I’m not talking about specific people, but I think everyone knows what they’ve done wrong in this. At least I hope they do. If you feel that I’ve offended you, please tell me.
SWIL will go on, no matter what happens. We’re eerily difficult to kill, in that sense ;o).
To get back to the important things in life, Vienna was absolutely awesome. If you ever have the opportunity to go there, do so!!! Have fun, enjoy Reading Week and Finals, etc., etc.