Huge Manatees

Heh. I always want to call them that.

I’m trying to decide what my humanities elective for next semester will be. Under the new not-PDC system, I’ve fulfilled that requirement, since I’m in a transition year. I just need a class that I can take pass-fail that I will actually enjoy. I was not a big fan of Spanish Literature last semester. Otherwise, pretty much anything goes; I just don’t think I like Literature-with-a-capital-L.

Do any of you have courses that you’d suggest? Inquiring computer engineers want to know… ;o)

Oh yeah, I suppose that they need to be courses that a senior can actually get into. I don’t mind reading, or writing, as long as I don’t have to make up obnoxious things that I don’t actually think to fit into a certain professorial mindset about literary interpretation…

King Of Spain” from Bargainville by Moxy Früvous

7 comments on “Huge Manatees
  1. q10 says:

well, if you want to cheat, philosophy 12 spends a lot of its time just being like a relatively unsophisticated math course, or at least it used to.

Classics courses taught in English tend to be fun, but the best one next semester is Turpin’s, which is a social science. i also liked Alan Berkowitz, so you might want to consider Chinese 016 (which is the same as Literature 016H) which is a literature course that looks like it might really be more of a cultural history course, and which i think looks like it wouldn’t require any actual knowledge of the Chinese language.

2. reldnahkram says:

If you want to hold out until the Spring (and really press your luck), rumor has it that Joel is teaching a Beatles course then.

3. irilyth says:

I really enjoyed the introductory courses I took in the Religion department: I took Intro, Phil Rel, and audited one of Heb Scrip or Chris Scrip briefly (but enjoyed it while I had time for it).

4. irilyth says:

Oh, another good approach: Take anything taught by a great prof. Check to make sure that the course in question has a good rep too, but starting with the prof and then picking a course seems likely to work out well.

5. tirerim says:

Opera was a lot of fun, and non-annoying; I don’t know when it’s being offered, though.

6. rebeccapaul says:

I took Satire (in the English department) and really enjoyed the readings.

7. antimony says:

Art History? An actual history class, if that would actually interest you. (I’m not a history person — I took Ancient with Rosaria at Swat b/c I was a Greek minor and figured that if I wasn’t taking the Historians seminar, I should at least read ’em in translation.)

Ditto on the good-prof recommendation — passing a P/F class is not hard, even if you’re bored. But having fun requires more.

Nurd Up!